Coronavirus, Harvey Weinstein sentencing, primary results: 5 things to know Wednesday

Editors
USA TODAY

Published 7:02 AM EDT Mar 11, 2020

Primary results: What’s next after Biden’s big night?

Joe Biden has tightened his grasp on the Democratic nomination, racking up significant wins Tuesday in ways that could make it almost impossible for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders to catch him in the coming weeks. Biden collected the biggest prize — Michigan — delivering a symbolic blow to Sanders while denying him what might have been his last best chance to regain momentum. Despite Biden’s good night, — he was the projected winner in Missouri, Mississippi and Idaho, while results from Washington and North Dakota are expected Wednesday — exit polls indicated he still has a work to do winning over the young voters that formed the core of Sanders’ support and were an important part of Barack Obama’s coalition. 

  • Coronavirus concerns lead to cancellation of Biden, Sanders events in Ohio
  • No live audience for Phoenix presidential debate as coronavirus precaution, DNC says

Prefer to listen? Check out the 5 things podcast below and subscribe for free on Apple Podcasts: 

Sentencing set for sex offender Harvey Weinstein

Ex-movie mogul Harvey Weinstein faces sentencing in New York on Wednesday for his conviction on charges of third-degree rape and forcible sexual assault involving two women. In a letter to the trial judge, Manhattan prosecutors said Weinstein’s sentence should reflect his “lifetime of abuse” as shown at his trial and in 36 other cases of sexual harassment and assault, workplace abuse and physically assaulting a reporter. Weinstein could be sentenced to prison  for five years to 25 years. The two women he was convicted of sexually assaulting, Miriam “Mimi” Haleyi and Jessica Mann, are expected to give victim impact statements.

  • Jailhouse mishap: Weinstein fell and hit head while in jail
  • ‘Lifetime of abuse’: Weinstein prosecutors seek tough sentence for his past actions

Emergency stay on Trump’s ‘Remain in Mexico’ policy ends — unless Supreme Court intervenes

After a court blocked the Trump administration’s policy of returning asylum-seekers to Mexico to await court hearings in February, it granted an emergency stay —  requested by the administration —  allowing the program to continue until Wednesday. The process — called the Migrant Protection Protocols, also known as “Remain in Mexico” — had been seen as a successful tool in President Donald Trump’s asylum crackdown, but immigrant advocates have denounced it as inhumane and deadly. If the Supreme Court does not intervene Wednesday, the court’s initial ruling will block the program in Arizona and California — the states under its ruling. 

  • President’s reaction: Trump to deploy 160 active duty troops to border in response to court rulings, coronavirus
  • The Wall: One reporter drove the entire U.S.-Mexico border. Another flew above it. Here are their stories.

Coronavirus: U.S. State Department limits services in Italy

The U.S. State Department will reduce its staffing in Italy effective Wednesday, leaving only emergency services available to American citizens in the country, which has the highest number of coronavirus infections in Europe. The State Department recommends that Americans reconsider travel to Italy, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urges U.S. citizens to avoid nonessential travel there. In Santa Clara County, California, coronavirus concerns have prompted the county’s Public Health Department to cancel mass gatherings of more than 1,000 people beginning Wednesday, a move that is slated to have a significant impact on the sports world.

  • Travel industry is reeling: Economists fear 9/11-like repercussions for the industry.
  • From ‘great’ to ‘blindsided’: How Trump changed his coronavirus message amid fear, confusion in the White House.
  • Middle East deaths: At least 44 people died in Iran from consuming bootleg alcohol after a fake coronavirus cure rumor.

Cardinal George Pell: Australia’s High Court to hear child sex abuse appeal

The most senior Catholic to be convicted of child sex abuse will take his appeal to Australia’s highest court on Wednesday in potentially his last bid to clear his name. Cardinal George Pell was sentenced a year ago to six years in prison for molesting two 13-year-old choirboys in Melbourne’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral while he was the city’s archbishop in the late 1990s. Pope Francis’ 78-year-old former finance minister will argue before the High Court that the guilty verdicts were unreasonable and could not be supported by the whole of the evidence, including more than 20 prosecution witnesses including priests, altar servers and former choirboys.

  • From 2019: Pell, Pope Francis’ top financial adviser, convicted of child sex abuse
  • Earlier coverage: Pell sentenced to six years for child sex abuse

 

Read More

Leave a Comment